Monday, May 19, 2008

the casual everyday: read me

Part 1
Average height teenage/young adult, at least part if not full Chinese female, dressed casually.

She’s wearing a pair of cropped pants, and a tank top. The pants are a solid color: chocolate brown. No hint of the plaid that was everywhere last year, and maybe peeping back again this summer. Her spaghetti strap tank top allows view of her black bra straps. The tanktop itself is a solid green, with an image of the front-side (her right side.) The image is black text of some sort, framing “white space” that forms the shape of a mushroom. Another thin black line is located approximately in the middle of the tanktop, not really part of the image in the corner…an accident caused by a Sharpie or printing mistake? On her shoulders, draped haphazardly is a thin black zip-up hoodie, solid color and nondescript. The use of layers suggests she is prepared to be comfortable in the changing temperatures of the day.

Her feet sports a pair of flipflops. Once again, plain black and nondescript. In contrast, her toenails are painted a dark red. Her right ankle sports a thin silver anklet, a chain with small circular charms dangling from it. She also has a silver chain bracelet on her right hand, and a silver necklace, with a pendent of two silver hoops, echoing the shape of the anklet charms and three silver chains, each of various lengths and ending in a black bead. Her earrings, also in silver, dangle a sphere in midst of a silver spiral. Her left ear also has two other silver loop earrings.

A pair of large sunglasses, as so is the style these days, sit perched upon her head, as she is inside. This, along with the mostly bared limbs hints at the warm and sunny whether outside. However, her long black hair is left down, rather than up. The black band around her left wrist appears to be a hairtie, which suggests she expects pulling her hair up eventually.


Part 2
With no business event or meetings or whatnot to dress up for, I enjoy the casual dressing down. I am ready and excited for the sun (cue sunglasses.) I would be wearing shorts if not for two reasons:
1) It’s chilly in the morning when I leave the house
2) no short shorts at work

Instead, I settle for the cropped pants, which are conservative enough to wear to the office, but allow me to stay cool in the sun as well. I’m not a huge fan of flashy colors or patterns, so the solid colors of the pants, tanktop, hoodie,and flipflops suits me fine. The tanktop is not something I would usually buy, and indeed, I didn’t buy it. However, it was silkscreened by me (hence the accidental black line) for one of my best friend’s birthday, in which I made matching tanks for several of us. The image is from an inside-joke amongst ourselves, and no we don’t worship shrooms.

The nondescript black hoodie is one of several I own. Over the years, I’ve just collected a lot of black clothes. I wear it today to keep the morning chill out and to cover-up while I’m in the office. The silver jewelry isn’t matching-I don’t generally buy matching sets of things. But like black clothing, I’ve just got quite a bit of silver accessories.

If I get the chance to sneak away from the computer for a few minutes at work, I'll get a picture taken and up. Otherwise, I'll put one up later.

No comments: