Wednesday, May 14, 2008

approaches

After a while of being caught up in "What is squatting? a subculture or counter-culture or neither" I'm just moving on.

At this point, I'm sticking with "What is the aesthetics of the squatting subculture?" I'll start out with taking squatting as a subculture, and in my conclusion, come back to this framework and address the issue of whether of not my research supports squatting as subculture, or if this is an area of further opportunity.

I was planning to look at traces and environmental behavior, focusing on interior decor. I just found this framework credited to philosopher Marx Wartofsky.

The article I found (the above) from: Díaz-Kommonen, L. et al (2004) Expressive artifacts and artifacts of expression. Working Papers in Art and Design 3. ISSN 1466-4917

This seems like another way of saying (framing?) what I'm trying to do- constructing meanings of what secondary and tertiary artifact, from the primary artifact, says to squatting, (like Ragin's construction of images.) ...Thoughts?